History of Greenwich Presbyterian Church

In the fall of 2002 the congregation of Greenwich celebrated the bicentennial of the first prayer meetings in the home of Aminta E. Moxley. From this humble beginning grew the congregation that was to become Greenwich Presbyterian Church. These sporadic meetings in Mrs. Moxley's home moved into a log church, then a larger log church. In the early days Mrs. Moxley would ask traveling preachers to stay over until the Sabbath to preach for them. Thomas Bloomer Balch was called to be the first pastor of Greenwich in 1833. The present edifice was constructed in 1858 through the efforts of Mrs. Moxley's daughter, Lucinda Irland, and her husband Charles Green. After more than half a century, Mrs. Moxley lived to see the dedication of the new church and then passed away on the last day of that year. Her's was to become the first grave in the new church's cemetery that now surrounds the church.

The story is picked up by the Civil War Trails marker by the road. Charles Green, an Englishman who had donated the land for the church, convinced Union troops that the church was neutral British property to be used only as a church.

Aminta Irland Fisher, Mrs. Moxley's granddaughter, became Mrs. Charles Green, after the death of his first wife and her aunt Lucinda Irland Green, In 1906 Mrs. Aminta Green's help was sought in raising money for a Manse for the pastor. The $400 raised was set aside for furnishings, and Mrs. Green paid the $2,500 to build the manse. Mrs. Green passed away on March 16, 1908.

Prince William County historical marker    Mrs. Aminta  Green's photo, obituary, Her tombstone
Mrs. Moxley's Photo, obituary, Her tombstone  Dedication of the Manse
Lucy Irland Green marble tablet, tombstone Jane Alexander Milligan tablet
Charles Green marble tablet, tombstone, photo

Recent article, Bull Run Observer

Civil War Trails marker  Pastors List marble tablet
National Park Service: Journey Through Hallowed Ground